In this episode of Adventures in Angular, Charles does a solo episode talking about entrepreneurship and the topic/course on “How to Get a Job.” This is an informative episode for those looking for a job as a developer and how to prepare your resume for your career search. Charles covers the core pieces of the course and specific areas of tailoring your credentials for the job you want to acquire.
In particular, we dive pretty deep on:
- How do I get a great job? Companies are only hiring Senior Devs.
- Your selling point as a Jr. Dev.
- Framing your experience for the companies to better see your experience.
- I don’t want a ( this kind of boss)
- Feeling like you are making a difference in your job.
- Who do you want to work for, with, where, and how, etc.
- Working in a facility or remotely. What do you want?
- Check out the meet-up places or workplaces (WeWork), Glassdoor
- Check out the people who work that these companies, LinkedIn.
- Check out company’s Slack rooms, forum, etc. to make connections
- Visit the companies personally
- Look into contacting the Meetup Organizers
- Building rapport
- Resume mistakes – how to properly format it so it is skim-able
- Top 3 bullet points and tailor to each job
- Unnecessary material in your resume – again tailor to the company
- Important material to include on your resume, contributions on projects
- The cover letter – How to do this correctly with a personal touch
- What to do when you get the interview – the offer!
- And much more!