- Charles Max Wood
- John Papa
In this episode of Adventures in Angular, the panel talks to Sam Julien about ngUpgrade in the real world. Sam is an Angular teacher and developer in Portland, Oregon and has spent a lot of time working through the issues with ngUpgrade. He has also launched a course called Upgrading Angular JS. He talks about the process behind upgrading and the two phases and four building blocks that are present in this process. They also touch on the fact that Angular JS is very different in the real world versus in theory.
In particular, we dive pretty deep on:
- Sam intro
- Do you see steady traffic with needing ngUpgrade?
- Angular JS is popular in the enterprise community
- How do people get started with upgrading?
- Update to a current version of Angular JS
- Building blocks to upgrading
- TypeScript and Webpack
- The most important things to be doing
- General process – 4 building blocks and 2 phases
- Determine your approach
- Different approaches available for upgrading
- Pick a route and work from the bottom up
- Angular AOT mode
- Upgrading is overwhelming but is manageable
- Don’t rush the process
- Create a reasonable timeframe
- You can’t always use the CLI for these projects
- Target those who feel stuck
- What are the biggest problems that you’re seeing?
- And much, much more!