- Do not do shit.
- Full understanding with the client does not always lead to a successful presentation. It’s a common situation when the task was set incorrectly, the client realized that but did not want to set it again and increase the project budget.
Make a portrait of the client, including:
- Sales channel. There can be a few of them. For example, if the client has studied your website and portfolio, your approach to work and came specifically to you — this is one approach. But if someone just simply received your phone number — this is another. It is impossible to work equally with such clients from the last example. Just notice.
- Relation to price. The client may think that you are too expensive, but still, sign a contract (because he has no time to look for another executor). In this case, he will seek to squeeze everything out of you.
It is necessary:
- To understand how useful you are for the client, and how common you are with him. Better not to work with disloyal customers.
- To explain everything in advance: the workflow, what you will do, who exactly is involved in the project and why, how and what price is formed.
Sign a contract and read it together with the client. This should be the main rule of your relationship. Constantly improve it if something goes wrong (for example, the 5th iteration of the edits).
Useful terms of the contract:
- 100% prepayment of each stage.
- Prepayment is not refundable. This perfectly draws the client into the workflow. How can you negotiate on equal terms if the client can ask for a refund of a part of the prepayment?
- The Ability to terminate the contract after the particular stage.
- The impossibility of returning to the passed stage.
- Fixed list of participants from the client side in the contract.
When the tasks are formulated, it is worth to speak with a client one more time and justify how you will do or not do their implementation.
- The design should be presented personally. You should not just send pictures without any comment. In case you can not meet the client physically — record the presentation on a video. Show the way you came to a decision.
- Everyone, who participates at the presentation, should have the same understanding of the project.
- Turn off your sense of self-importance. If a client disagrees with something, you may not understand his business and did something wrong. There are many details, that can be found out later, despite all the preliminary analysis.
- If the client offers solutions, always get to the bottom of the problems, that he would like to solve in this way.
What to do with demagogues from the client:
- Try to address to them personally after a general discussion. Give your client the opportunity to talk out.
- Make them sharpen. You can tell your client: “You have doubts, but you cannot formulate them? This brings the project to a standstill, and we do not know where to go from here. ”
- Back to the facts. Just notice to your client: “The topic of our conversation is as follows. We proceeded from these documents and this presentation. ”
- Do not be cheeky. Your client should understand that you treat him well and with respect.
If your customer says “the client is always right” — this is a 100% demagogue. — Tweet it!
Send the results of the work by e-mail to the client address, specified in the contract.
Sending layouts by regular mail to the legal address of the client with the attachments list will confirm exactly what you have done, and helps you in the future. — Tweet it!