- Charles Max Wood
- Joe Eames
- Alyssa Nicholl
In this episode, the Adventures in Angular panel talks to Torgeir Helgevold about Bazel. Torgeir works for Nrwl and does experiment with Bazel as a part of his daily life. He has really taken an interest in Bazel and sees it as the next big thing in build systems. They talk about what Bazel is, zero configuration, and Bazel’s ability to deal with large and complex projects. They also touch on build speed with Bazel, how to set Bazel up, and more!
In particular, we dive pretty deep on:
- Torgeir intro
- Bazel as the next big thing for build systems
- What is Bazel?
- Incremental build system
- Mainly for large projects
- Why is Bazel going to become the next big thing?
- Bazel isn’t tied to a specific language
- Bazel vs Webpack
- Type sharing between front-end and back-end
- Bazel is very streamlined
- Zero configuration movement
- The problem with zero configuration
- Large vs simpler projects
- Complex development and new tools
- Google is well known to have large, complex projects
- If your build system is working for you, there’s no need to change
- Build speed
- Continuous integration
- How do you set Bazel up?
- Alex Eagle repo – angular-bazel-example
- What does Bazel actually do?
- How do you pull these rules in?
- How do you transition over to Bazel?
- And much, much more!