Recently, I came across a feature that had been tested before.
- This ticket was assigned to me on Jira, there was no mentioning of any previous testing on this ticket.
- After I discovered a few issues and reported them on Slack for discussion, only then someone mentioned that this feature had been tested before and testing log was available somewhere on Google Sheets.
- Almost all of the issues I discovered had been discovered and reported, e.g. some effort and time could have been saved.
Chronically, the issues are:
- There is no mentioning of previous testing in the Jira ticket.
- There is no easy way to search for any existing testing logs. E.g. people use whichever way they see fit to record test cases, Google Sheets is one of many options.
- Previous Jira tickets about this feature was not linked to the Jira ticket I was working on, e.g. I was totally unaware of any previous testing effort.
I am thinking of bringing up this issue during our next retro, but the likely solution is possibly:
- Remind everyone that Jira tickets need to be linked, testing logs should be attached; this solution is still largely dependent on people’s memory, which can be very unreliable.
What is the effective way to solve this issue? Is there any Jira features (or any other software features) we can use for assistance?