Follow me through the design thinking process working on expanding Naturalia’s market.

For those who missed the first week of course at Ironhack, you can find in details the first part of what we’ve done here. Last week finished while we were in the “define” part of the design thinking process. At this stage, we didn’t know exactly what problem we’d have to solve for our persona Lucille.

Let’s keep going through the design thinking process !

Step 3 : Define (part 2) & Ideate

Here the “define” and “ideate” stages were a bit mixed up together so the ideation helped us to have in the end THE definition of the problem.

We first defined the question How might we … ? :

How might we make the target feel more welcomed in Naturalia shops ?How might we make the products understandable for users ?

Then we made some ideation exercises : rounds of Crazy 8, Worst idea game and Round Robin.

It took us to a general idea of how we wanted the app to be like : the main feature allows the user to scan articles at home or in store and so gets information about the products. We also wanted it to help him to do his shopping so we needed to provide recipes using this product. He can also edit his profile and shop.

A benchmark helped us to find what other features we needed :

As the product we want at the moment is an MVP, we had to prioritise the features. Here’s our value / complexity quadrant :

Business’s goals vs. User’s goals

We decided to keep both the right squares (up and down), with a highlight on the scan article tool.

In the end, we wrote some user stories, begining from broad to become more specific. Each user story relays to a feature. The main problem our app will have to solve is : As a user that is not well informed about organic food, I WANT TO GET MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THE PRODUCTS.

Step 4 : Prototype

We got there to a very fascinating subject : Information Architecture. We’ll need it to build our prototype as it helps us to organise how the content and elements are related.

We used the card sorting tool to help us determine the categories and may sure the users don’t get lost while they look for some information through the app. We had a problem about taxonomy (does coffee go with drinks or with breakfast ?) with the products and about ontology (the name of the categories weren’t appropriate) with recipes, but users helped us to solve them !

We then realised the site map of the app :

Writing the user flow was made easy by then because we used the sitemap as a guide.

Userflow

We then had to translate the user flow into a paper prototype.

crazy 8
round robin

After 2 rounds of crazy 8 plus 3 Round robin, we got a general idea of the most simple pages an the details for the most complicated ones. We now have a precise idea of the scan pages :

Paper prototype of the scan feature

Stpe 5 : Test

Nearly the end of our first cycle. We asked 5 users to realise 3 tasks using our app :

  • buy a steak while in shop by scanning it and getting it delivered to her home,
  • find the recipe for “crêpes” and add all the ingredients to a new shopping list,
  • create her profile.

All the users who made the test fit to our persona Lucille.

They were pleased with the design of the app and the concept but they also raised some issues :

  • 80 % were confused about having a list feature and a basket. They found the list option useful but maybe not for the first try of the app so they didn’t know wether to add their products to the basket or to the list.
  • 60% didn’t want to create a profile. They think it’s a loss of time, they only want to grab food for the moment.
  • 40% would like to be able to scan their debit card on the payment page instead of writing all the numbers. They like this kind of features and it would be consistent with the app offering to scan products.

Next step

We’ll have to iterate to improve the prototype and solve the problems raised by the users !



Source link

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here